Face Covering Policy Statement for the Corps of Cadets
Provided are instructions regarding face coverings for the Corps of Cadets. These instructions support the Institute’s objective to provide an academic year experience as normal as possible given current COVID impacts.
- Face coverings will be distributed through the mailroom to every cadet. Cadets are to carry a face covering at all times.
- Academic class sizes will be at normal capacity. Currently, fully vaccinated cadets are not generally required to wear face coverings in academic buildings.
- Faculty and staff may require facial coverings in classrooms and office/work spaces regardless of vaccination status. At the discretion of the professor face coverings may be deemed appropriate as an additional safety measure given classroom conditions (e.g. number of cadets enrolled in the class section, number of unvaccinated cadets in the class, size of the classroom, type of instruction being provided).
- Faculty and staff are authorized and expected to enforce facial covering requirements.
- Unvaccinated or not fully vaccinated cadets must wear a face covering at all times indoors except when in your own barracks room or while dining.
- Unvaccinated or not fully vaccinated cadets may remove face coverings during indoor physical training when 10’ separation from other individuals is maintained and while dining.
- Cadets’ vaccination, isolation, and quarantine status will be provided to faculty through class rosters.
- Weekly testing is required of non-vaccinated or partially vaccinated cadets.
- Virtual instruction, meals, health and welfare services will be available for cadets required to isolate or quarantine.
- Non-compliance with this policy will result in a special report for failure to comply and/or a one-semester suspension.
- While not currently required, wearing a face covering while indoors is advisable.
Major General Cedric T. Wins ‘85
U.S. Army (Retired)
VIRGINIA MILITARY INSTITUTE